Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wind and Rain and Brimstone

Went out without a lot of hope. Sharp heavy showers competed with even shorter periods of sun to make life as tricky as possible. The wind made things a little difficult as well. I thought that at least I'd get a good walk. I had given up, even with this simple aim, and was returning home when I discovered this beautiful fungus. I climbed over the obligatory barbed wire fence, picked up the obligatory cut and set up my tripod in the obligatory holly bush, in the rain. Despite this, it was worth the effort. I knew this tree harboured this fungus as I had seen it growing here before, but I had always arrived a bit late. This time it was in its prime. Which was more than could be said for the Oak tree. Despite being much the same age as those either side it was swaying alarmingly in the wind. The fungus is known as Sulphur Bracket (Laetiporus sulphureus) and is a brown rot fungus working on the heartwood of the tree. Though this sound serious you have to remember that this part of the tree is dead. Only a thin layer just beneath the bark is alive - this years ring forming. In a large, old oak, heart rot can be an advantage. A hollow trunk reduces weight and allows greater flexibility in high wind. In a small Oak like this one it could lead to failure of the trunk and the tree going over. Coming back to the present we have a still have a reasonably healthy Oak and a spectacular fungus. Could be all change with a bit more wind.

Dog Rose (Rosa cannina) is also in flower another great flower. Might try making rose hip syrup from this later in the year......

No comments:

Post a Comment